The 9th Habit
Blogging my exploration of the first 8 Habits.
Monday, August 13, 2007
  The First Creation: Welcome to my blog.

"All things are created twice," writes Dr. Covey in explaining "Begin With the End In Mind," the second of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. The First Creation is a mental creation--a blueprint, plan, vision, or program--and the Second is a physical creation. Sometimes, the First Creation is a whim or scripting from our earlier experiences, but there are always two creations. By bringing our capacities of imagination, self-awareness, independent will, and conscience to bear, we can take control of the First Creation and have much more effective second creations, or so the theory goes.

A recent post at The Covey Chronicles explains it in far greater depth, but that's the gist. In keeping with that notion, and in keeping with my renewed interest in FranklinCovey-style planning and time-management and the 7 Habits themselves, I will begin this blog with a deliberate First Creation.

The purpose of The 9th Habit will include:
  1. To provide an outlet for my thoughts on the 7 Habits framework.

  2. To showcase and review certain FranklinCovey products.

  3. To encourage discussion about the 7 Habits framework, including limitations or challenges inherent in its assumptions, underlying worldview, or potential application.

  4. To document my own progress and struggles in implementing the habits and creating a meaningful, fun, and productive life.

  5. To attract and foster a community of diverse people with differing points of view to synergistically create not only a deeper understanding of the principles Covey teaches, but of life in general.

  6. To provide continuing motivation to explore the Habits and improve my implementation of them.

  7. To creatively supplement my income.

  8. To serve others who are looking for better lives by helping to spread the ideas that work for me in my life.

  9. To deepen my understanding of the habits by teaching the material--teaching, as Dr. Covey so often reminds his audience, is the best way to learn.


Blogging seems to be a good platform to explore the Habits--Dr. Covey encourages introspection, and blogging encourages naval-gazing; it's a match made in Heaven!

In pursuit of the above purposes, I will set a number of goals. The first is a modest, but important, one:


So, that's why I'm here; why are you here?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

The 9th Habit is my blog about personal growth, success, and meaning. It will largely focus on the frameworks of Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and The 8th Habit, as well as the tools and principles provided by FranklinCovey. I am a former FranklinCovey employee, an undergraduate student in Psychology in my late 20s, a volunteer with a not-for-profit group that provides leadership education, and a man with a peculiar fascination with greatness. Welcome to my blog.



ARCHIVES
August 2007 /


E-mail comments or questions to franklincoveyalum@gmail.com.


Daily Blogreading

Recently added blogs are in italics. Blogs that are no longer updating or that had broken URLs the last time I checked them are struckthrough, and subject to deletion at any time.

The Covey Chronicles




Powered by Blogger